Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Please help her with facts!

I am pos., my new girlfriend is negative. We engange in foreplay and she is worried that she can be infected by me sucking on her nipples. She recently got really upset when I left a few bite marks on her nipples. She will read this ..please tell her that its safe! Thanks.

Response from Dr. Remien

I think this is about a little more than whether this behavior is or isn't risky for transmission of HIV. In general, this is not considered to be a risk behavior for transmission of HIV. However, one cannot rule out the possibility of transmission when there is severe biting with drawing of blood. Besides this, the issue is one of trust and comfort in the relationship. Both partners in a mixed status relationship need to feel safe and comfortable while pursuing pleasurable activities. This requires having the information and then discussing and negotiating what you are both comfortable with. Sex is not fun (for most people) when there is stress and anxiety.

I hope that you can each maintain respect for each others' feelings and enjoy the sex that you have, free of unnecessary worry and stress.

Disclosing Status
Do we really know?