Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Disclosing Status

I am in a relationship with a man who is HIV+, (I am HIV-), my ex husband is aware of his status and is acting fearful that our two children are being put to risk. (we are beginning our divorce) He is becoming threatening and is disclosing the information to my neighbors who work with him. I am wondering if there is anything legally I can do for disclosing this information. Thank You.

Response from Dr. Remien

I am not a lawyer and not fully aware of your options, if any, in this situation. It is indeed unfortunate that your ex husband is behaving this way since there is no risk for your children, unless they are having unprotected sex with this man - which I'm sure is not the case! While we may agree that your ex-husband is behaving badly I doubt there is anything illegal about it.

I suggest that you and your current boyfriend remain strong and steadfast in knowing that your children are not at risk and that there is nothing wrong with you having a relationship. I don't know the age of your children and whether you are concerned about them hearing things. If you think they are old enough and are actually hearing things being said, you may want to talk about it with them directly and see what questions they may have.

Looking for Information
Please help her with facts!