Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

He tells me he is HIV+, help me please

Hello DR. I am gay and recently met the man of my dreams, we had a beautiful date and I was so happy, he is a person that I could fall in love with, and he tells me that he is HIV +. I am confused and scared, but I do know that I care for him. What can I do, can it work... What should I do , help me please, just a small word of advice would be so appreciated. Thank You,

Response from Dr. Remien

His HIV status alone should not be a reason to not pursue this relationship. A good relationship is based on a lot of important factors and it is only with time that you can know how good a relationship is. You do need to understand the basics about HIV, including how it is transmitted. If you are not sure you do know the basic facts, get the information - ask questions. There are lots of resources out there including those on this website: The Body. Finally, it is also very important that you and this man TALK about your feelings and concerns regarding HIV as well as other intimate things that two getting to know each other usually talk about.

Please give me the truth on life expectancy
Getting tested for ccr5 receptor