|Please give me the truth on life expectancy
Nov 3, 2003
I am negative and my partner just tested positive. He believes he was infected two years ago. His inital levels came back, CD4 at 570 and viral load at 20,000. Any idea on what his realistic life expectancy would be? Any guess would be appreciated.
Response from Dr. Remien
There is no good way at "guessing" on this issue. The good news for you and your husband is the following:
1. His CD4+ cell count is still within normal limits (although at the lower end of normal). This means that his immune system has not been overwhelmed and is generally functioning well.
2. His viral load is not out of control. The lower the better, but this is not an outrageous number.
3. There are effective therapies for people infected with HIV and when he and his physician decide it would be wise for him to initiate therapy he should have plenty of viable options.
4. Most people living with HIV who have access to ongoing standard of care can expect to live relatively long and healthy lives.
Your husband needs to see his doctor regularly and continue to monitor his health and also these clinical markers.
Possible infection, longterm non-progression, and seeking help in Australia
He tells me he is HIV+, help me please
- Does Pep Delay Seroconversion In Hiv?
- How Long After A Risky Sexual Contact Should One Wait To Be Tested For Hiv?
- How Soon Do You Get Hiv Symptoms?
- Chances Of Getting Hiv Without Condom
- How To Find Out If Someone Is Hiv Positive?
- How Long After Being Exposed To Hiv Does It Take To Show In Testing?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.