Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Please give me the truth on life expectancy

I am negative and my partner just tested positive. He believes he was infected two years ago. His inital levels came back, CD4 at 570 and viral load at 20,000. Any idea on what his realistic life expectancy would be? Any guess would be appreciated.

Response from Dr. Remien

There is no good way at "guessing" on this issue. The good news for you and your husband is the following:

1. His CD4+ cell count is still within normal limits (although at the lower end of normal). This means that his immune system has not been overwhelmed and is generally functioning well.

2. His viral load is not out of control. The lower the better, but this is not an outrageous number.

3. There are effective therapies for people infected with HIV and when he and his physician decide it would be wise for him to initiate therapy he should have plenty of viable options.

4. Most people living with HIV who have access to ongoing standard of care can expect to live relatively long and healthy lives.

Your husband needs to see his doctor regularly and continue to monitor his health and also these clinical markers.

Possible infection, longterm non-progression, and seeking help in Australia
He tells me he is HIV+, help me please