Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Husband tested negative, am I ok too?
Aug 28, 2003

Dear Dr. Remien, I have been tested for hiv back in the military when I was 20, it was negative. Six months before I was tested I had been with a guy who was rumured to have been hiv +. I donated blood also 2 months after being tested, which I also know they test and I never heard anything back. Now I am 28, married, and have one child who is 16 months old. My husband had to get tested for immigration purposes, and tested negative. He and I had been together for two years when he was tested and have had intercourse while I have had my period, oral, and anal sex and he is uncircumsized. My question is, if he had tested negative after all that time, would it be safe to say my daughter and I are also ok? I have been worried sick ever since my baby was born. Please answer if you can. Thank you so much.

Response from Dr. Remien

From what you describe there is really no good reason to think that you or your baby have HIV. And the only way a baby can be born with HIV is if the mother is HIV+ during the pregnancy and childbirth. However, if you do have doubts, wouldn't you be reassured by asking your doctor to give you an HIV test, since it sounds like you have not had one for 8 years? Again, from what you have described, you can expect that test to show you that you are not infected. Worst case scenario - if you were to find out you are HIV+ (however that may have happened) you and your family would be better off knowing that so that you can get the appropriate follow-up medical care to keep you healthy.

Previous
super or re-infection
Next
serodiscordant couples

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.