Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Husband tested negative, am I ok too?

Dear Dr. Remien, I have been tested for hiv back in the military when I was 20, it was negative. Six months before I was tested I had been with a guy who was rumured to have been hiv +. I donated blood also 2 months after being tested, which I also know they test and I never heard anything back. Now I am 28, married, and have one child who is 16 months old. My husband had to get tested for immigration purposes, and tested negative. He and I had been together for two years when he was tested and have had intercourse while I have had my period, oral, and anal sex and he is uncircumsized. My question is, if he had tested negative after all that time, would it be safe to say my daughter and I are also ok? I have been worried sick ever since my baby was born. Please answer if you can. Thank you so much.

Response from Dr. Remien

From what you describe there is really no good reason to think that you or your baby have HIV. And the only way a baby can be born with HIV is if the mother is HIV+ during the pregnancy and childbirth. However, if you do have doubts, wouldn't you be reassured by asking your doctor to give you an HIV test, since it sounds like you have not had one for 8 years? Again, from what you have described, you can expect that test to show you that you are not infected. Worst case scenario - if you were to find out you are HIV+ (however that may have happened) you and your family would be better off knowing that so that you can get the appropriate follow-up medical care to keep you healthy.

super or re-infection
serodiscordant couples