Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

How long till I know I am in the clear

My wife died of AIDS in Oct. of 2000 and it was April of 1999 that we last had sex (protected). I have been having periodic testing, the last being May of 2003, and the results are negative. My daughter is almost 7 and she also tests negative. How long should we test? Can we now put the matter to rest and go on with our lives without the fear that we could be carriers or are infected and simply test negative?

Response from Dr. Remien

Yes, I believe you can "put the matter to rest" in terms of your concerns about having been infected from your wife. Enough time has lapsed since your possible exposure from her for you to be reassured that you or your daughter were not infected.

passive positive partner
Combivir and Videx combo