Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Should I divorce?
Jul 8, 2003

Dear sirs; I am 40 and +ve. I don't know when I contracted the virus but diagnosed +ve on July 2001 my CD4 was 119 and started Combivir+Sustiva. I am now CD4 290 and VL undetectable (March 2003). I have married and my wife is diagnosed negative repeatedly latest being March 2003. I have a son. However, I am very disturbed whether to break our marriage ( We usually have unprotected sex and using condoms didn't satisfy us.) I am desperately seeking advice. Thank you very much for all your efforts.

Response from Dr. Remien

Clearly there is risk for your transmitting HIV to your wife if you continue to engage in unprotected intercourse. While it may seem like a challenge, many mixed status couples are able to find ways of maintaining a satisfying sexual relationship while also protecting each other from HIV and other sexually transmitted infections. If you don't think you can deal with these issues on your own, through honest and open communication, please consult with a couples therapist who has experience with HIV issues. HIV alone should not be a reason for you having to "break the marriage."

Previous
Can I make my HIV+ partner sick?
Next
Concerned

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.