Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can't we be used to save other lives?
Jun 2, 2003

My wife passed away from HIV?AIDS over six years ago. We had unprotected sex for at least 5 years during our marriage. I have tested negative in three separate tests since her death most recently two years ago. I have since remarried and we are expecting our first child. There seem to be so many of us who remained negative yet had positive partners. I feel somehow that science should be learning from our experience and using our survival as a way of learning how to save other lives. How can our experience help in the fight against AIDS?

Response from Dr. Remien

It is good that you have remained HIV- even though you had unprotected sex for many years with your wife who was HIV+. There has been some research into the issue of protective factors and possible immunity for some people who are repeatedly exposed to HIV but remain uninfected. There are many factors that can play a role in HIV transmission, including viral load of genital secretions at the time of sex, the virulence (or the strain) of the virus itself, genetic factors in the uninfected partner, etc. "Luck" can also play a significant role. It is also thought to be more difficult for transmission to occur from female to male than it is for male to female, in some parts of the world (i.e., the United States). This means that there may or may not be something unique about you and your history. There are often scientific studies taking place that seek to recruit people like yourself. You may want to find out if any such studies are happening near where you live. But again, many studies have already been undertaken, without definitive outcomes and a certain amount of luck may have been the most significant factor in your situation.

It is good that you would like to contribute to the scientific understanding of this disease. And you should also feel fortunate to be married and expecting a child with your wife - I wish you all the best.

Previous
i'm positive but my boyfriend is neg. and wants unsafe sex
Next
catch it

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.