Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Explanation needed

I have been a happily married woman for 14 years. Quite faithful until three years ago when I was posted away from home and unfortunately/fortunately met someone who changed my life forever. We always had protected intercourse. But Lo and behold almost two years into the relationship I tested +. Neither my friend nor hubby tested+ but a few months later my friend too tested +. Problem is hubby is asking that I explain my status. How? Please advise best way. Thanks

Response from Dr. Remien

This is really a difficult question because nobody can really tell you the best way to discuss this with your husband. In the end, my experience tells me that "honesty is the best policy." I say that because it seems that the truth eventually comes out anyway. I don't know enough about your relationship with your husband nor what kind of person he is. However, if you are concerned about your safety in being able to be honest with him, then you may want to seek counseling for this and may want to ask for assistance from a counselor in discussing this with your husband.

a painful problem
brief question!!