Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

re: When both people are positive...

I'm sorry if this is the wrong category, but it seemed most specific to my question.

In regards to the debate about safer sex and reinfection between HIV+ couples, is this just a concern in terms of those who have become involved after a previous diagnosis? Or is it also a concern couples where one partner was infected by the other, and were diagnosed together? Does it make any difference? All the information I seem to find on HIV+ couples seems geared toward people who contracted the virus previously.

Thank you so much for your time!

Response from Dr. Remien

You are asking a valid question, but it is an issue about which I don't think much is known. I am not a medical expert and therefore cannot give you a full answer. I do know however, that even if two people are convinced that they were infected with the same virus - that is one infected the other, the virus can behave differently in each of the individuals. Therefore, even when starting off with the same strain, the virus is likely to mutate (change) with time, since it is constantly reproducing inside the person. This means that with time, the virus can be different in each person, thus causing concern about re-infection.

married
HIV and Meds + person dating - person