Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

re: When both people are positive...
Apr 11, 2003

I'm sorry if this is the wrong category, but it seemed most specific to my question.

In regards to the debate about safer sex and reinfection between HIV+ couples, is this just a concern in terms of those who have become involved after a previous diagnosis? Or is it also a concern couples where one partner was infected by the other, and were diagnosed together? Does it make any difference? All the information I seem to find on HIV+ couples seems geared toward people who contracted the virus previously.

Thank you so much for your time!

Response from Dr. Remien

You are asking a valid question, but it is an issue about which I don't think much is known. I am not a medical expert and therefore cannot give you a full answer. I do know however, that even if two people are convinced that they were infected with the same virus - that is one infected the other, the virus can behave differently in each of the individuals. Therefore, even when starting off with the same strain, the virus is likely to mutate (change) with time, since it is constantly reproducing inside the person. This means that with time, the virus can be different in each person, thus causing concern about re-infection.

Previous
married
Next
HIV and Meds + person dating - person

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.