Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

CONFUSED : WINDOW PERIOD of AIDS

CDC said normal cases 3 months, the rare cases 6 months and only 2 people 12 months. That is my knowledge of AIDS window period. One doctor said (Mar.2001) that he saw 2 years window period cases in Africa in an AIDS magazine. And he said, who knows if later, someone will test the positive over 2 years. I dont know what kind of magazine he saw and it is reliable source or NOT? And the other doctor (Oct. 2002) said that the normal case is 6 weeks and test the positive after 6 months, but who knows if someone will test the positive at 10 years or at 20 years and more years later. Some of counselors said the same idea on the web sites. The information of above two doctors makes me confuse AIDS window period. Is it true? . What is the correct information of AIDS window period? CONFUSEDDONFUSED

Pls answer it ASAP. Thanks

Response from Dr. Remien

It is also my understanding that most people who are infected with HIV will show a positive antibody test within three months. In rare cases a person can actually be infected but not test antibody positive after three months. It would be very rare for someone to not have antibodies by six months and it would be extremely rare - but perhaps not impossible - for someone to be infected, but not test positive after a year or longer.

Oral Sex on a HIV+ partner
Future for +M & -F?