Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

definition
Oct 30, 2002

What does it mean when some one is told their HIV is dormaint(not sure if I spelled that correctly)

Response from Dr. Remien

I do not know what this means in this context since "dormant" is not an accurate term when describing HIV infection. Once someone is infected with HIV the virus is never dormant (i.e., totally asleep or inactive). The body's immune system can do a very good job of keeping the virus at very low levels which helps keep HIV from causing much damage to the immune system. (The main way HIV causes damage is by destroying CD4+ cells - the helper cells that help the body fight infections). However, the virus is always replicating. When someone is told that their viral load is "undetectable," this means that it is reproducing at a rate that is lower than the test can detect (this has to do with sensitivity of the assay used to test viral load), however, it is not "dormant."

Previous
Concerned Virgin
Next
Undetectable but concerned

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.