Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Concerned Virgin

Hi! I'm a 27 year old virgin who met someone who is kind enough to tell me that he's HIV positive. But I decided to date him anyway. I'm just concerned that last night he gave me blow job and he swallowed my cum and he also rimmed me. I'm just want to know if HIV can be passed on that way? Should I get tested right now? I really like him and hopefully I would get over my fears and move on with him as part of my life. Thanks for your time.

Response from Dr. Remien

Receiving a blow job and being rimmed are generally not considered to be risky behaviors for transmitting HIV. Please visit the "Safe Sex, Prevention and Transmission" Forum on this website for a lot of information about sex and risk for transmission of HIV. It is appropriate for you to be concerned about HIV transmission and it is important to educate yourself about the basics of STD and HIV prevention, while exploring your sexuality. If just reading information on websites like this does not feel sufficient to you, consider visiting a counselor who can help you think through these issues. It is important to address your fears if you want to be comfortable in the relationship.

Am I dangerous? Him: hiv +; me: herpes.. Afraid for him.
definition