Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Will He Test Positive?
Oct 21, 2002

I am a 35 year old, divorced, African-American Mom of 3 small children.Just diagnosed in June 2002. Only had 3 male partners my whole life. #1 (my husband,intimate with me from age 14 to 30) is negative. #2(intimate with me from ages 30 to 35) is positive and infected me. #3 (intimate with me from ages 31 until now) tested negative twice since June. What are the odds #3 will test positive next time,considering we've had unprotected sex for over 4 years straight? He's a good friend and I'm worried about him. Please respond ASAP.

Response from Dr. Remien

There are so many variables that can effect whether someone who is exposed to HIV becomes infected. Unfortunately, I cannot give you specific odds on this. He needs to be tested and you will then know what his current status is. From this time forward you can use protection when having sex so that he does not become positive in the future, assuming he has been fortunate up until now.

Previous
Recently diagnosed. What does the future hold?
Next
Am I dangerous? Him: hiv +; me: herpes.. Afraid for him.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.