Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is this a good sign? Please give your professional opinion!
Oct 7, 2002

Dear Dr Remien,

I am a 20 year old male from the UK.

Around a month ago, my 17 year old girlfriend was raped by a man who was known to be HIV positive.

She was started on PEP treatment immediately after exposure, but around 3 or 4 days before she was due to finish her 30 day course, she was very ill with fever, sore joints and dizzyness. She was admitted to hospital, and now, over a week and a half later, she has just been discharged. She is still feeling very weak and groggy, but is much better.

During this time, she returned a negative western blot, elisa and SUDS test.

Considering her very high risk exposure, what are the chances that she will remain negative with the follow up test in three months.

I know you would rather not answer, but in your professional opinion, given the fact that she has suffered symptoms of ARS, yet still remains negative, is this a good sign?

Your answer would put our minds at rest at least until the results in 3 months.

Many thanks for your continued work...if only we had people like you in the UK!

Response from Dr. Remien

You are right in realizing that this is not a question I can really answer with any authority. The good news is that all tests so far are negative. While the symptoms you describe can be part of an acute viral syndrome when infected with HIV they are entirely non-specific. That is these symptoms can be due to a wide range of possible causes. You'll need to wait and follow up with your physician. However, your girlfriend has done all the right things and has every reason to be optimistic about the outcome.

Previous
Please help me understand
Next
Is it right?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.