Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Please help me understand

Dear Dr,

Can you ever be completly certain that you are HIV negative. There seems to be so many people testing beyond the window period and with alternate tests. This has lead me down a path that seems to have no end. Everytime I have tested I read a case of someone that has taken longer than that timeframe to seroconvert. I've tested so much and each time it takes so much out of me to the point that I'm so close to the verge of breakdown. I have also had the following tests done and have been negative to all...at 20 days a negative via PCR DNA, ELISA, Western Blot and P24. 8 weeks ELISA, 12 weeks elisa and hep B, 24 weeks ELISA, 26 weeks ELISA and T-Cell ratio of 1.5 and neg Hep B. At 8 months post exposure the results are as follows negative via PCR DNA, ELISA, Western Blot and P24. Doctor at this stage I am at the end of my rope and need to know that I'm OK regardless of the risk of exposure. For God sake there must be an end to this. The doctor that I have been seeing says that I'm OK but while browsing this site I have seen posts from people saying that there doctors advise testig out to 1 year even 2 years. I've seen 99 quoted all the time but surely you either have it or not. Am I HIV NEGATIVE and would I be the first person in the world to still be poz after all those tests.

Regards,

Phil

Response from Dr. Remien

I am not a medical doctor and cannot give you any guarantees. However, it sounds like you are needlessly anxious about this. I think you need to trust YOUR doctor. You have had a wide range of tests and have good news on all of them. I suggest you trust those results and accept the finding that you are NOT infected with HIV.

Is there an answer
Is this a good sign? Please give your professional opinion!