Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Link between non transmission and slow progression

Hi My husband was diagnosed last month as HIV+ve CD4 50 VL 110,000. His doctors belive these figures suggest an infection about 9-10 years ago. WE have been having unprotected sex for 10 years but I have tested -ve. Also he is geneally very healthy, superfit at the gym, no weight loss or fatigue and only presented after taking a very strong course of abntibiotics to clear up an infected scratch ( from out cat ) and then getting oral thrush. My question is whether there is any possible link between his relative health ( given very poor lab numbers ) and my good fortune in not being infected. Also have you any thoughts on how likely he is to recover to decent CD4 count given these figures and his health. He has started on Sustiva and Combivir and the doctors say as his infection is old it is less likley to be drug resistant. Thanks for this as I am obviously very concerned at his low CD4 and openess to infection

Response from Dr. Remien

The best answers to your questions will come from your husband's physician. Yes, his and your physical health, as well as his viral load are factors that can influence the transmission of HIV, along with many other factors. Also, it is true that the older the infection, the less the likelihood he has resistant virus. And while nobody can predict what will happen to his CD4+ cells over time, the general trend is that they are likely to increase after viral load is significantly reduced and remains low over time, with successful therapy.

Will CD4+ Count Increase Again?
will he still get infected?