Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Will CD4+ Count Increase Again?

My partner was just diagnosed with HIV. They are saying his CD4+ count is 16 and his viral load is "very high." We are going to quickly start looking for a physician here in the valley but I was wonder if, through the right medication, his CD4+ count will ever increase

Response from Dr. Remien

With appropriate and effective treatment it is certainly possible that his viral load can be decreased and his CD4+ cells can rise. It is very important that he see an experienced HIV physician quickly, conduct the appropriate tests (e.g., genotype, etc.) and initiate therapy. Take care.

Preventative Measures in a mixed status relationship
Link between non transmission and slow progression