Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I love him, but he scares me
Jul 4, 2002

I was diagnosed with Hiv in Sept. of 1997 and I let my children's father know about my diagnosis right after I was able to speak again in complete sentences without crying. In turn he threatened to kill me, I was scared and he was sent to jail! Now in Feb.1999 he was released from jail we hooked back up, and I asked him to get tested, he did and he was negative. In that same year we were married. Now it's almost 3years later he hasn't been retested and I think he's having an affair. Now because of what I already have I don't want to have sex with him anymore because I don't want my situation to worsen! Now because he married me and I was positive and he was not, I feel like I owe him my all, but what about me and my fears. I'm stressed all the time about this and I'm afraid of getting sick and I'm doing real well with my meds! Please help me because I do love my husband!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Response from Dr. Remien

You do not "owe him your all" just because he married you. You have every right to feel safe in your relationship and to maintain your physical and mental health. I highly recommend that you speak with a mental health counselor to get support and to come up with strategies to reduce your stress and maintain your health and well-being.

Previous
Transmission Risk
Next
risk degree for the healthy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.