Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Transmission Risk
Jul 4, 2002

I am a healthy 35 year old woman who is recently (6 mths) involved with a HIV positive man. We have always used condoms during intercourse yet I find myself constantly scared of contracting the HIV virus. I am a divorced mother of 3 beautiful children and I find myself immensely afraid that I may one day contract the virus and become ill. I truly love my partner and intend to spend the rest of my life with him. Could you please assist me and provide any and all details of how to protect myself in regards to intercourse, oral sex, etc..

Thank-you

Response from Dr. Remien

It is normal to have a fear of contracting HIV. However, it seems like you are doing what you need to protect yourself. Several studies have shown that consistent and correct use of condoms is highly effective in preventing HIV transmission in couples of mixed HIV status. Oral sex is relatively low risk, but of course HIV can be transmitted through oral sex. Bottom line is that exchange of body fluids (specifically blood and genital secretions) carries risk of transmission. Spend a little time reading the questions and answers on the "Safe Sex, HIV Prevention and Transmission" forum of this website. If you feel like you need more information and/or reassurance speak with an HIV counselor. You and your partner should also be aware of "post exposure treatment" to help prevent transmission in the event of an accident (i.e., a condom breaks during sexual intercourse). It is a treatment that should be administered within hours following the exposure, which is why you should know about it in the event of such an occurrence. Speak with a physician about this. In the meantime, try to relax and trust the protection that you do get from consistent and correct use of condoms and continue to appreciate the wonderful things you seem to have in this relationship.

Previous
scared.....but still doing it
Next
I love him, but he scares me

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.