Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Risk of Transmission
Jul 4, 2002

I am a HIV+ male living with a HIV- Male. Just want to know some statistics regarding infection rates for unprotected anal sex. (Both Top and Bottom). We recently sliped up and had unprotected sex and we a re a bit worried abot the possible transmission. We did not come inside of each other, my viral load has been undetectable for the last 3 years. No obvious cuts or bleading was found.

Looking forward to your reply.

Response from Dr. Remien

Transmission of HIV is dependent on many factors, including viral load, condition of the mucous membranes of each partner, other health factors, and even perhaps genetic factors. While risk of transmission may be reduced when viral load is reduced, transmission is still possible. Remember, "undetectable" viral load simply means that it is lower than the sensitivity of the test used to measure copies of the virus. There is still virus present and it is always replicating. Also, the viral load that is measured is the viral load in the plasma (blood) may not be the same as the viral load of genital secretions - it can be different.

You should also be aware of "post-exposure treatment" which may be an option when there is an unplanned real risk for transmission having occurred. It is not something that can be used often and/or needlessly, but is recommended in some instances, but must be given within a very short window of time following the exposure. Speak with your physician and with your partner about this.

Previous
please help-can we be a normal couple
Next
I am neg. My girlfriend is HIV+

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.