Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

YOUNG, GAY, SCARED AND SUICIDAL
May 24, 2002

Dear Sir,

I am young gay man just coming out of the closet. A while ago I had my first sexual experience with another man, he performed oral sex on me with a condom and stimulated (massaged) my prostate and Anal opening THERE WAS NO FINGER PENETERATION. How ever initially he scratched his arm where there was some red dry skin. I did examined the skin. it appeared to be dry and there was no blood or discharge present. I am still concerned; what if some tiny skin parts with tiny blood drops attached to them had got stuck to hiss fingertips? And then the very same fingertips came into contact with my anal opening? I am going nuts since I have no one to talk to (Young gay man in a small town , you figure!) I have been thinking about killing my self. Tell me I have nothing to worry about please. Thanks so much and God Bless. JUST YES OR NO THAT WILL DO. Young Gay, scared, and SUICIDAL

Response from Dr. Remien

The scenario you describe sounds like there is no risk of you having gotten HIV. However, I am much more concerned about you being so isolated and feeling so scared to the point of feeling "suicidal." Coming out and becoming sexually active can be a very difficult time, especially in small town settings where you are likely to feel alone and isolated. I STRONGLY recommend that you find someone you can talk with. I do not know how old you are or what resources you have available to you. However, I suggest you speak with someone such as a teacher or guidance counselor, a doctor, a mental health therapist, or someone working in a local community based organization that provides services to young people. Also think about confiding in a friend, neighbor, or family member that you feel you can trust. If you are not sure exactly where to go contact a help "hotline" and ask for places you can go and talk with someone.

Please know that you are NOT ALONE. There are many young gay people in your area, around the country, and the world. While this may feel like a difficult time, you can work through this. And there are things you can learn from talking with a professional about ways of protecting yourself from diseases and violence and other bad things that can happen when seeking sex in places that may make you vulnerable.

Please contact someone right away and take care of yourself!

Previous
How big is the risk?
Next
please help-can we be a normal couple

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.