Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Scared
Apr 29, 2002

hello,

Need some advise. I dated an HIV Positive women for about 3 months. Our sexual activites included protected sex with condoms, french kissing, fondling, oral sex (receptive). I have never had unprotected sex with my previous partnes also. But during this period she was under medications Sustiva ie. her viral load may be high. I'm scared... Can you please advice? Do you think I should get tested? What are my chances of getting infected?

Thank you in advance.

Response from Dr. Remien

You, like so many people, would like specifics about "chances" of getting HIV. Sex behaviors are always on a general spectrum of more to less risky, when applied to groups of people. However, any activity that involves the exchange of body fluids (genital secretions or blood) carries risk. And what happens on an individual level cannot be determined from studies of large groups of people. So many factors come into play, such as condition of the body parts where exchange might take place, viral load at the moment of contact, the strain of virus the HIV+ person has, etc.

The behaviors you describe are of relatively low risk. However, that does not make it impossible for HIV transmission to take place. If you are concerned about possible transmission of HIV speak with a medical professional and decide if, and when, you should be tested.

Previous
HIV Scare Pls reply
Next
hiv positive hemophiliac

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.