Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Safe sex necessary??
Apr 2, 2002

I am HIV+ and my wife is diagnosed with AIDS. She is on meds whereas I am not at this time. Is it necessary for us to practice safe sex since we are both infected anyway? One of us acquired the infection from the other, so it's not like we were infected by different people. What good would use of condoms, etc. do now if any?

Response from Dr. Remien

While there is not a lot of evidence for people becoming re-infected with HIV once they already have an established infected, it is possible. The potential danger in "re-infection" is becoming infected with a strain of HIV that could be differently responsive to treatment. The other risk of unprotected sex is the acquisition of other sexually transmitted diseases, which can complicate the health of a person living with HIV. I recommend speaking with your own doctor about this issue. But of course the bottom line is that you and your wife will need to weigh the risks to the health of both of you and decide for yourselves what you are comfortable with.

Previous
i asked for cocktail and was told no
Next
Not infectious?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.