Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

i asked for cocktail and was told no

i went to the walk in medical center and told the doctor on call that i've had unprotected vaginal sex with a prostitute (no cuts on my penis) 2 1/2 days ago and that i was very concerned. i asked if i could start the cocktail and i was told no and that my risk is VERY low. was that appropriate. it's been a couple days less than a month. what should i do now? also, i returned to the same medical center with SEVERE flu symptoms (night sweats, fever, sore throat, dissiness, nausea) and an strange infection on my tongue- mostly in the back and affecting all the little taste buds, some of which grew to 1+ millimeters. i was told that i probably had the flu, but what about my tongue? is that something going around in massachusetts right now? please write me back and give me any and all info and suggestions that you can. thanks.

Response from Dr. Remien

I am not a physician and there is not a lot I can tell you to help. The decision to take "post exposure treatment" is based on several factors including the level of risk of exposure and proximity of the event. If there is a high risk exposure and if it is within hours - or a day or two since exposure, the treatment is often recommended. The further away from the time of the exposure the less likely it is to be recommended. It is a case-by-case decision. Clearly at this point in time post-exposure treatment is not for you. As to what is going with you right now I cannot say. Follow-up with a doctor is what you need to do. I hope that you are already feeling better and that what is likely the flu or a cold is already clearing up. But again, if your problem persists, don't hesitate to see a doctor.

Need to know how to proceed
Safe sex necessary??