Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

could serodiscordance help extend life
Mar 15, 2002

Dr. I have been poz for 6 years with my partner who is neg. for 20 yrs (since just out of highschool). I look great, feel great, (good labs)and I think part it is due unconditional love I share with my other half. Looking forward to the next 20 yrs. Has anyone done any studies on the longevity of poz people in serodiscordant realtionships versus poz to poz or single.

Thank you for this site.

Response from Dr. Remien

I am not aware of any studies designed to specifically evaluate this phenomenon. And actually this would be a difficult thing to study - to tease apart all of the factors that can contribute to health and longevity among people living with HIV. However your hypothesis is a sound one. There have been studies that have shown that people in long-term relationships often have better physical and mental health than people who are single. However, some studies have mixed findings on this and often there are interesting gender differences. That is, men tend to suffer more from being single than woman do, or to say this another way, men (in general) may have more to gain from being in a relationship than do woman.

So whether or not your relationship is a direct result of your partner's love, you should be grateful for the relationship you have and the love that you share, and you should celebrate your unconditional love for each other. At the very least it is something that contributes to your quality of life and overall well-being, even if you cannot definitively say it contributes directly to your longevity.

Previous
Do we really have fifty years together?
Next
Sex with a HIV+ partner what can I do?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.