The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Does PEP lead to resistancy?
Dec 18, 2000

Dear Dr Remien, My boyfriend is HIV+ and I'm not. I'm glad to be able to tell you that we haven't had one accident yet. But I'm interested in Post Exposure Profylaxe, because you never know. I heard that when you've used PEP once, and you will be (re-)infected later, you can be already resistent for the drugs that are in the PEP-combination. It seems weird to me, because it's the virus that gets resistant, not the patient, right? Thank you for your time.

Jolanda from The Netherlands

Response from Dr. Remien

You are absolutely right when you say it is the virus that becomes "resistant," not the person. I have never heard that after taking PEP once, the person is at risk for developing resistance. Resistance develops when a drug is present while the virus is replicating. The presence of the drug "selects" for resistant virus. Therefore if a person is taking PEP AND if they are actually become infected with HIV, then they run the risk of selecting for resistant virus, just as any other person already living with the virus. Therefore it would be risky for someone to keep taking PEP while repeatedly exposing his or herself to HIV, since "resistant" HIV could establish itself and survive within that person.

Keep in mind, PEP is to be used in those emergency cases, when an "accident" occurs. It should not be used repeatedly or as a "planned" strategy or rationale for taking risks. Take care.

My Boyfriend Tested Positive and I Am Afraid!
risk of infection with condoms

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint