Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

My Boyfriend Tested Positive and I Am Afraid!
Dec 26, 2000

Happy Holidays, My boyfriend and I recently got tested for HIV and his test came out positive. My test came out negative but the clinic told me it was too soon to tell if I am infected. We had unprotected sex for one month and the last time we had unprotected sex was on Dec. 6. I was told by a doctor (who specializes in dealing with people with HIV) that I should take another test along with a viral load test. I did that two weeks (per his suggestion) after the last time of having unprotected sex with my boyfriend (Dec. 6) and both the viral load as well as the HIV test results came out negative. The doctor said that given this status (only 2 weeks after Dec. 6) there is a 99% chance that I will stay HIV negative, but I should come in again one month after that last time having unprotected sex (around Jan. 6) to have a PCR test. He said that if that test comes out negative, I will know completely (100%) that I am HIV negative. I just wanted another opinion about this. Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Response from Dr. Remien

It sounds to me like you are getting very good advice from your physician. Hang in there and follow-up as your doctor is advising. Good luck. Happy Holidays and Happy and "Healthy" New Year.

Previous
HIV+wife and -husband trying to have a baby
Next
Does PEP lead to resistancy?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.