The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV+wife and -husband trying to have a baby
Jan 2, 2001

I am a 35 year old hiv positive women for 20 years husband is negative I have had an undetectable viral load for 5 years and my tcells have been between 1250 and 1490 for past three years.

My husband and I have been trying to conceive for 2 years we have timed self insemination(with a needleless syringe) had no luck.

We started seeing a fertility specialist who was reluctantly coaxed by my ob/gyn hiv specialist to treat us for infertility We have done 4 inseminations that have failed.

I believe that a very large problem is that this Reproductive Endocrinolgist does not want to perform vaginal ultrasounds on me he states that he is concerned that due to my known HIV status that he cannot guarantee sterility of the u/s probe and may put other patients at risk.Can you believe that crap ,I am outraged and appalled .

The big problem for me is that he is not giving me the same standard of care and I am taking fertility drugs which I need to be fully monitored for my safety as well as to get the timing of insemination correct for success.

Do you know of any Reproductive specialists who will not have this same problem and would give me full treatment (which I am financially prepared to pay for)without the same concerns?

I have researched this to death and I am at a loss I don't know where else to go and this doctor knows it.

I live in New york and can't believe that in this day and age I can't find someone to help me.

Your help would truly be appreciated.

Thank you

Response from Dr. Remien

I can truly appreciate your feelings on this matter. In my opinion, there is no reason you should not be offered the same standard of care and attention as anyone else (HIV infected or not). And you are right to expect that.

I wish I could offer you a specific referral, but I cannot. I am not a medical doctor and do not work in a medical setting where there is this expertise. I'm sorry. If you have not done so already, you should speak with your OB/GYN and let her/him know your feelings about the treatment you are getting from the specialist. See if you can't get a "friendlier" referral. Again, you deserve to receive appropriate "standard of care," and should continue to seek it. Good luck to you.

My Boyfriend Tested Positive and I Am Afraid!

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint