Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

not sure

one of my friends and i have been together for almost a year off and on. Nothing serious due to the fact that were full time students working full time jobs and have no time. recently (about 3 months ago) while we were together he inserted my penis inside of him unprotected. He and I both know the risk and I couldn't believe he did it. I'm not sure of the last time that he has been tested. But i got tested 2 weeks after contact because every time i bring up the testing issue he always claim that he is absolutely negative. After asking him 3 or 4 times I could feel him getting a little bother because i was repeating the question. (Are you sure you're clean?) He said that he always practice safer sex. Even though our encounter was about 10 seconds or less it was still unprotected and he put it in twice throughout the night for less than 10 seconds each time. I just recently got tested at 11 weeks at the start of this semester. I'm a senior in college and i can't shake the fact that i may have been exposed to the virus. I am praying I wasn't, for this is definitely a lesson learned. The nurse that done my testing said that it was possible if my partner was positive. But it is of unlikely due to the time frame. would you second this. I have no symptoms of hiv but i am so stressed thinking about it. I just want to get through my last year successfully. ------Praying Daily

Response from Dr. Remien

It sounds to me like the nurse is giving you good advice. It it possible, but unlikely that you would have gotten infected with HIV from what you describe. Ultimately, you can only know for sure after testing up to approximately 6 months after the event.

As you can see, it can be extremely anxiety-provoking to find yourself worrying so much about something like this. That is why it is so important to make some decisions about what you feel comfortable (safe) doing and what you do not feel comfortable doing. Then figure out ways that you can STICK to what is comfortable for you. Plan ways that you will handle situations where someone wants you to do something that you do not feel is safe. If this continues to be difficult for you to do, there are many counselors and community programs that do work around HIV and STD prevention. You may want to check them out.

Take care of yourself - have fun and keep yourself safe.

sperm washing
My partner won't trust me anymore since he's HIV+