Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can I infect my partner?
Jan 25, 2001

I have none detectable VL and a Tcell avg. 450 and have been such for over 9years. My partner is suggesting its ok to have unprotected anal intercourse and feels as the passive partner he cannot become infected since my my VL is non detectable and I am healthy. Can he become infected by me?

Response from Dr. Remien

Yes, he certainly can. It is good for you that your viral load is undetectable. That means that right now your virus is replicating at a low rate and therefore causing "less" damage to your immune system than if it were replicating at a much higher rate. HOWEVER, HIV is still in your system and is still replicating. AND, it can still be transmitted to others. While the risk of transmitting it (likelihood for it to happen) "may" be less (research findings are actually mixed), it can still happen. It can still happen because, as I said, the virus is still in your body and still replicating. Also, the viral load of your blood (which is what is tested) can be different from the viral load in other parts of the body, including genital secretions (e.g., seminal fluid (cum)). And, viral load tends to fluctuate and is not static. Which means it can be different from day-to-day, and may not be the same today as it was when you were last tested.

The bottom line: HIV always has the possibility of being transmitted to another when you are living with HIV. I understand the desire to do away with condoms (at least once in awhile) for the sake of intimacy and pleasure. But you need to realize that there is some risk in doing that.

Be well and continue to take care of each other.

Previous
Condom Failure in Mixed Status Couple
Next
sperm washing

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.