Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

HIV and other STD's

Dear Robert,

i am a hiv+ woman and i have been with a man who is negative for six years. He is totally disease free, but now he is interested in having sex with another woman in addition to me. My cd4's are about 200, and i know that std's can speed hiv's progression to Aids. Can you give me a list of all std's that my boyfriend should be careful to avoid giving me?

Thank You, worried person

Response from Dr. Remien

I have to say it seems to me that the question you are asking is not really your main, or at least not your only concern. I don't think the main issue is which STDs that he/you can get, but rather how you really feel about him having sex with another woman. Regarding STDs - he and you should be concerned about getting ANY STD - not good for either of you. And it seems like his wanting to have sex with another woman has the potential of effecting your mental well-being as well as your physical health. I hope that you and he can talk about what this all means to both of you. And please talk with your physician about your physical health and about testing for STDs.

both partners positive
Is HIV transmitted through kissing?