Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

does precum contain HIV,and where do test in los angeles santa clarita

HI,I am from another country,I found out that my sex partner is HIV+,we always practiced safe sex,but I am not sure if the precum touched the condom while putting on or not,I am very scared and want to test before I go back to my country because I will not be able to go back if I am HIV+ , please help me

Response from Dr. Remien

Precum can contain HIV, however the concentration of HIV is quite variable. While probably not a very high risk, you are right to be concerned about precum on a condom - IF there is a significant amount of precum on the OUTSIDE tip of the condom. Some people don't think about what they are doing if they start to put a condom on inside out and then turn it around and reverse it and then use it. While HIV is a relatively difficult virus to transmit, there is always the possibility of it occurring with inconsistent or incorrect use of condoms.

You can read some of the questions and answers on this topic in the "Safe Sex, Prevention and Transmission" Forum on this website. You need to inquire in your area about places for testing. Call your local public health department or any of the HIV community based service organizations listed in your neighborhood. They can tell you what your options are, including access to anonymous testing. While it sounds like there is no need to "panic" it is always wise to test and be certain. Also keep in mind the timing of your antibody testing relative to any risk event. You will probably have to re-test again - but you can talk about this with the HIV test counselor.

Help find info for prospective partner who is -
Serodiscordant couple wants babies!