Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Condom Failure in Mixed Status Couple

Male positive, female negative partners use condoms for vaginal intercourse 100% of the time. Statistically, sooner or later there will be a condom failure. Is there any appropriate action to take at that time, such as douching, etc. and with what.

Response from Dr. Remien

I am not aware of any data that speaks to the usefulness of douching or any similar procedures when there is a condom failure. I suggest you speak to your physician about this and you may also want to visit The Body's Safe Sex and HIV Prevention Forum.

You should also be aware of what is called Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP), also known as Post-Exposure Treatment (PET). This essentially involves taking antiviral medication to prevent infection from occuring when you have been "exposed" to the virus. Please read more details about this treatment in the following Q and A links:

Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP)

and

Emergency Kit

homosexual experience
Can I infect my partner?