Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

HIV- too paranoid

My partner is HIV+ and we have been going out for 9 months. After finding out he was HIV+ after 3 months into the relationship, I was tested 3 months after that and came out negative. A total of six months. I was tested again after another 3 months and was negative once again. My question is, at times I am very paranoid about symptoms. I feel very very nervous every time I get a headache or have diahrrea. I have experienced a lot of anxiousness since I learned of his status and have trouble sleeping at night. I have developed panic attacks and such, but I love him so much I am trying to work through it. My question is, "If you have a symptom that could possibly be the HIV virus, would it come in one symptom or in a few symptoms." Thank you.

Response from Dr. Remien

While your reactions are understandable, it sounds like you would benefit from professional help from a mental health counselor. The physical symptoms you are describing are "non-specific." That is to say that they could be caused by a wide range of conditions and/or from anxiety. You should be reassured by your testing HIV- and need to get help in dealing with your anxiety and panic attacks.

We need to know the truth!!
Uncertain & Confused - Mixed status couple