Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

how to release his fear
Jan 1, 2002

First, sorry for my bad english. I'm from Spain. I meet an american man one year ago. We get sentimental relations and save sex. But he is really afraid. I'm in his heart but i must to arrive to his brain and help him to understand that is possible to have a good sexual relations with erotism, satisfaction and enjoy our bodies. I must to educate him that to have HIV is not a dead sentence. We have a long distance relation so, of course, we have not sex often. He always think in this small risk, that exist even having save sex and this block him. When we meet first time, in my country, he went to an english doctor (language questions) but he was not an expert, he was only a family doctor in a small village and explain him in a very dramatic way. I know speaking is the best way, and we do it but, just e-mailing is very complicate. I know is not an easy relation but im sure finally i have find THE MAN and i'll fight for him against everything. He have tell me now (after one year) that he wants to learn more about HIV, so we are on the right way, i can give him a bunch of medical information but i need a suplementary psycological help how to educate him, how release his fear. He loves me and is mad of desire for me but... fear is powerfull. Pleas help me.

Response from Dr. Remien

He will have to deal with his fears and concerns in his own time. Information is the starting point and necessary for him to cope with the "psychological" aspects of involving himself with someone with HIV. Having fears and concerns is normal, especially if he has had little experience with this kind of thing. It would probably be helpful for him to talk to other people - either people who are familiar with HIV and others who have been in relationships with people living with HIV, or with a trained counselor. He may also find useful advice from websites like this one where he can read how other people deal with their feelings in this matter. You may want to direct him to these things, but let him then proceed on his own. You cannot force the issue for him - too much direct pressure from you may turn him away. Be patient and give him time. If his feelings for you are true and strong, he should be able to work through his fears.

Buena suerte y ten cuidado.

Previous
Mixed couple
Next
Renfection

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.