|Viral Load Test for Semen Secretions?
Aug 18, 2000
I have been told with an undetectable viral load in the blood, the chances of infecting a female partner are very low. My question is, and knowing that a low blood viral load does not necessarily mean an undectible semen level or that HIV is not present in the semen, is there a test that can be used to test the viral load of semen as there is with blood?
Response from Dr. Remien
Yes, there is a test available, but it is mostly used in research settings. Even if you were to seek out the test for yourself, you need to know that the results are variable and affected by many factors. So, an undetectable viral load in your semen at one point in time, would not necessarily mean you would get the same results later that same day or on another day.
born with HIV
Women's risk of transmission to neg male
- Cold Feet After Oral Sex On A Woman What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Dry Cough After Unprotected Anal Sex Without Ejaculation Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Jock Itch After Breast Sucking Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Jock Itch After Unprotected Oral Sex Without Ejaculation Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Sore Throat After Swallowing Blood Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Glands After Lap Dance Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.