Mixed-HIV-Status CouplesMixed-HIV-Status Couples

Incremental Risk??

I just discovered your site! Thanks so much.....

My boyfriend is positive and I am negative. (woman of 48yrs). I was told today of an incremental risk factor of 1% a year of contacting the virus.....ie., if I was with him for 10 years, my risk would be 10%. I guess it was a hemophiliac study?? Have you heard of this? It really freaked me out and I am worried.....

Also, does risk decrease with advancing age? We are 10 years apart (he 10 years younger).

I so appreciate your response.

God bless you for your work:)

Response from Dr. Remien

I am not sure exactly which statistics you are referring to, but where that kind of estimate probably comes from is the fact that, with time there is always an increased risk of HIV transmission occurring, in the context of risk. In other words, the more opportunity for transmission (exposure to the virus), the greater the chance it will occur. I am not aware of there being increased risk for transmission dependent on age. The bottom line: the more times one engages in behavior that carries the risk of HIV transmission, the more likely it will actually occur.

Could I be immune?
married 30 years, both celibate by choice, one partner hiv +