Women and HIVWomen and HIV

spotting and hiv transmission

I am 20 weeks pregnant and my ultrasound has shown some spots in my baby's bowels. The doctor thinks it's probably because of some spotting I experienced during the beginning of my pregnancy. Does this mean that the baby has an increased risk of contracting my HIV?

Response from Dr. Sullivan

I am not sure what you mean by spots on the babies bowels; the most important determinant of maternal to child transmission of HIV during pregnancy is the viral load in the blood; if your viral load is less than 1000 copies/ml, you have less than a 1% chance of transmitting HIV to your baby; JLS.

Pregnancy and h.i.v.+women
lypoatrophy and kids