Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Mandatory Testing for Pregnant Women

Knowing what is known today, why aren't all pregnant women tested for HIV? It just seems so stupid to me. It should be routine. If we had this technology with other diseases I'm sure they would test then, such as cancer. It is just ignorance and irresponsible nowadays. I think the doctors make the women feel guilty or bad for even being tested. For instance when I had my daughter last year my doctor said" there's no need for an HIV test is there?" If most doctors react that way I'm sure alot of women feel uncomfortable and probably don't get tested. If it were a part of the routine however a lot of children will be healthy. What is being done about this, are any new laws being made?

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

As you point out, several advances over the years have resulted in changes to the recommendations for HIV testing during pregnancy. These include the availability of accurate tests, the availability and proven efficacy of antiretroviral agents for mom's health, and the proven efficacy of antiretroviral therapy in preventing mother-to-child transmission. We also know that risk-based screening can miss many HIV positive women. As a result, testing for ALL pregnant women is now recommended as a routine part of prenatal care.

Who has to know?
Passing HIV on to the child