Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Pregnancy - HIV+Woman/HIV-Man

I have been positive for 10 years. I am currently on Combivir and Viracept. My viral load is undetectable and my CD4 count is over 600. My husband and I are interested in having a child. We have found numerous sources of information about the children (percentages of positive, treatment, etc.), but extremely few on the effects of pregnancy on the HIV+ mother. Could you touch on this topic or refer us to some other resources on this topic? Thank you for your time. TV

Response from Dr. Jackson

Pregnancy is not thought to cause progression of HIV disease. CD4 cell counts typically remain stable when adjusted for the increase in blood volume, and HIV RNA levels only rise slightly or not at all pre and post delivery. Fo more information, you may want to read "A Guide to the Clinical Care of Women with HIV" edited by Jean Armstrong MD from Johns Hopkins University.

BJ

Older Child
PCP vaccine?