Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV RNA Test/HIV DNA PCR Test
Oct 31, 2001

Dr Brook, to one of your answers dated 28 October 2001, DNA PCR Test while Pregnant you said that the HIV RNA test is more sensitive than the HIV DNA PCR test for detecting early infection if you are not taking antiretrovirals. Now does this mean that if a some take antiretrovirals and you go for a test e.g. an Elisa test there is a possibity that the results will be negative, I am asking this becuase I have been positive now for a year and have been on antiretrovirals, and my husband always goes for the Elisa test to different doctors whenever he is home and not working in England and all his test show that he is negative (which I find very hard to belive since he has been the one sleeping around in our marriage and I have not.

If so how does this work and what is the difference between the Elisa and the above testes you mentioned.

Response from Dr. Jackson

Once an adult individual is infected with HIV and is antibody positive, the use of antiretrovirals for treatment will not cause the ELISA test for HIV antibody to become negative.

BJ

Previous
Postpartum babies
Next
percentage rate of children in foster care with Aids

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.