Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Shingles or something else?

Dr. Jackson,

I had a quick question regarding shingles. I was recently diagnosed with shingles, however the doctor was not 100 sure and said it could be something else (did not take a culture). I am concerned because I've read shingles can be related to HIV, and many doctors recommend HIV testing after diagnosed with shingles (esp. to those under 40). However, I tested 3 months ago and was HIV negative. Furthermore, the rash is much better after 1 week, and is at a small area on my lower back (2 x 2 inches at the most). If it were shingles wouldn't it be more widespread and last longer? Please help!

Response from Dr. Jackson

Shingles can occur in individuals who are less than 40 years of age and not HIV infected. The total duration of the rash is typically 7-10 days and can be confined to a unilateral dermatome.

BJ

DNAPCR test while Pregnant
Postpartum babies