Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Hiv+ parents: adoption or pregnancy

Hi, my wife and me are both hiv+ with undetectable viral loads since 4 years and feel very well. Having decided to become parents we'd like to have your advice on either pregnancy or adoption. Is adoption possible in our case and would it not be more reasonable. Many thanks for your answer

Response from Dr. Jackson

You should check with adoption agencies to see what your options are. Becoming pregnant is certainly possible but does risk the baby becoiming infected. This risk can be lowered with use of antiretrovirals to probably 2% or less.

BJ

influences in HIV mothers' lives - their feelings
Hiv antibodies in newborns