Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Home Access Test Kit

I am aware that most people (including young children) have detectable antibodies by 3 months post exposure, primarily because the new Elisa and Western Blot tests have a higher sensitivity. Does the Home Access test kit use the higher sensitivity assays, or do only physicians have access to the higher sensitivity assays?

Response from Dr. Jackson

I have not seen a direct comparison of the EIA that is used with the Home Access kit and other high sensitive EIAs using seroconversion panels. Just the fact that the Home Access test uses a dried blood spot instead of liquid plasma suggests it may be slightly less sensitive, but in testing known HIV positive patients it appears to have greater than 99% sensitivity.

BJ

dad+,mom? if pregnant
influences in HIV mothers' lives - their feelings