Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Nevirapine & 4 year Old

My 4 year old adopted son has been on Nevirapine {plus Kaletra and Zerit} for over two years now. Every time the Nevirapine is increased, I see a change in his personality. He is more emotional, cries easily, angers quickly, even hysterical at times. Is this a common side effect. He was such an easy going baby, and it upsets me to see him in this state. Is this a common side effect of Nevirapine? and is it worth using if it makes him and everyone else around him so miserable?

Response from Dr. Sullivan

I am not aware of this as a complication of nevirapine therapy; I would explore other potential causes of this personality change with your physician; JLS.

22 weeks pregnant and exposed to cytomegalovirus
doctors opinions about HIV and breastfeeding