Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Poz Uncle Wants to See Sisters Newborn
Jul 30, 2000

My sister gave birth april 2000. I was diagnosed february 2000 with cd4 104 and vl 62,000 and hospitalized with pcp and on ventilator in intensive care for almost 8 days.

My parents know of situation however my sister, brother in law and newborn do not. Have taken well to triple therapy, my meds have vl undetectable and cd4 now up to 474. My infectious disease dr. said my immune system is "reconstituting itself very well" and i am off prophylaxis and out of danger of opportunistic infections and bacterial pneumonia.

My concern is this: my sister does not know of my medical condition as she had a difficult pregnancy and premature newborn. She and baby are doing well now however I have not seen her or newborn since before the birth. The newborn was not allowed around any sick people per pediatricians orders and my sister requires all who come near or hold the baby to not have any colds and she requires them to wash their hands with anti-bacterial soap.

I feel my sister and brother in law should know of my medical condition (and I am fully aware and educated that I pose no danger to my nephew through casual contact) however: I want them to be aware of my situation and let them determine if they want me around my nephew or not, I feel they would be very disappointed and upset if they discovered my condition and I had contact with newborn. I just want them to decide and feel they have the right to know and decide if they want me around the baby or not. Is there any advice you can provide my sister and brother in law? I plan on printing out this question and your response for them so they can be aware of some good medical advice. I just want them to hear from a medical expert that I pose no danger to my nephew or them. I want them to make the decision however and I feel with some medical advice in hand it may help them with their decision. Thank you Doctor's!

Response from Dr. Jackson

Given your undetectable viral load, CD4 count of 474 (which is almost normal), and absence of clinical symptoms, I do not think that you pose a greater threat of infection to this infant than any other non-HIV infected person. Obviously if you develop any illness you should not have contact with the baby just like anyone else who is sick. I agree with you though that you should make them aware of your condition and let them decide.

Brooks Jackson, M.D.

Previous
What is IVF?
Next
Question on relation

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.