Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

icsi or artificial insemination
Aug 13, 2000

Hello doctors, thanks very much for answering my two questions, but unfortunately I didn't understand your answers maybe due to the fact that english is not my first language. I asked you which other ways there are at hand to get pregnant when a hiv - man has only about 2% living semen. In Holland IVF is not an option when there's only 2% living semen. You answered we could try artificial insemination. I don't know if that the same as "ICSI" ("injecting" a living semen into my egg); but if it is: my doctor told me that that's not done because there would be a danger of infecting the egg by using this technique. Do you agree with that? Or if ICSI is not "artificial insemination" as you use that term, what do you mean by that? Because it's impossible to become pregnant of my husband while he only produces 2% living semen. Please help us.

Response from Dr. Sullivan

You should consult an expert in infertility who will be able to address your question. John L. Sullivan, M.D.

Previous
Help -- when to have a baby?
Next
Would like to know the truth of what I read

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.