Women and HIVWomen and HIV

icsi or artificial insemination

Hello doctors, thanks very much for answering my two questions, but unfortunately I didn't understand your answers maybe due to the fact that english is not my first language. I asked you which other ways there are at hand to get pregnant when a hiv - man has only about 2% living semen. In Holland IVF is not an option when there's only 2% living semen. You answered we could try artificial insemination. I don't know if that the same as "ICSI" ("injecting" a living semen into my egg); but if it is: my doctor told me that that's not done because there would be a danger of infecting the egg by using this technique. Do you agree with that? Or if ICSI is not "artificial insemination" as you use that term, what do you mean by that? Because it's impossible to become pregnant of my husband while he only produces 2% living semen. Please help us.

Response from Dr. Sullivan

You should consult an expert in infertility who will be able to address your question. John L. Sullivan, M.D.

Help -- when to have a baby?
Would like to know the truth of what I read