Women and HIVWomen and HIV

transmission to children

Is there any documented case of transmission of HIV to children due to involuntary exposure to body fluids from infected parents or brothers? I know that HIV is not transmitted via casual contact, but considering that contact between parents and children is very close, perhaps there is a risk. I refer to cases like disinfecting an open cut, children using parents tooth brush by mistake, etc.Thanks in advance for your answer and congratulations for your work.

Response from Dr. Sullivan

Transmission of HIV in the family setting has been carefully examined and there is no evidence that common events like sharing of toothbrushes, razors etc are associated with transmission of HIV; if transmission does occur in these situations it must be an exceedingly rare event.John L. Sullivan, M.D..

helping HIV+ 2 years old child
pregnancy