Women and HIVWomen and HIV

2 year old on playground

My 2 year old son shared a drink (through a straw) with a child I didn't know. my son put his mouth on the straw immediatly after the other child.

What keeps running through my mind is sometimes my son's teeth may bleed a little after I brush them (if I am overzealous with the toothbrush..It doesn't happen often but it does happen) I did brush his teeth that morning (about and hour before the playground) although I dont recall seeing any blood but I'm not sure.. I can't remember AND I have no way of knowing if there was any blood in the other child's mouth or on the straw (I didn't see the straw before my son put it in his mouth because he put it in his mouth immediatly after the other child)...I am frightened that IF the other child was HIV + (and I have no way of knowing this) my son could have contracted it this way. I know there are alot of "what ifs" and uncertainties in my post but I am pretty upset. I know that HIV is not spread through saliva but I feel that this is a little different of a situation. I keep thinking "what if the other child has blood in his mouth and it got into my son's bloodstream through a little cut in his gum?".

As I am writing this, it sounds so stupid....believe me, if I wasn't so upset about this I would probably be ashamed to even post this question...but I am having a real hard time sleeping and somehow feel really guilty that i didn't have my eyes on my son at all times.

Do I need to worry or am I being a first time mom and overreacting?

Thank you.

Response from Dr. Sullivan

No need to worry;JLS.

pregnant women
Advice