The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

2 year old on playground
Sep 27, 2001

My 2 year old son shared a drink (through a straw) with a child I didn't know. my son put his mouth on the straw immediatly after the other child.

What keeps running through my mind is sometimes my son's teeth may bleed a little after I brush them (if I am overzealous with the toothbrush..It doesn't happen often but it does happen) I did brush his teeth that morning (about and hour before the playground) although I dont recall seeing any blood but I'm not sure.. I can't remember AND I have no way of knowing if there was any blood in the other child's mouth or on the straw (I didn't see the straw before my son put it in his mouth because he put it in his mouth immediatly after the other child)...I am frightened that IF the other child was HIV + (and I have no way of knowing this) my son could have contracted it this way. I know there are alot of "what ifs" and uncertainties in my post but I am pretty upset. I know that HIV is not spread through saliva but I feel that this is a little different of a situation. I keep thinking "what if the other child has blood in his mouth and it got into my son's bloodstream through a little cut in his gum?".

As I am writing this, it sounds so stupid....believe me, if I wasn't so upset about this I would probably be ashamed to even post this question...but I am having a real hard time sleeping and somehow feel really guilty that i didn't have my eyes on my son at all times.

Do I need to worry or am I being a first time mom and overreacting?

Thank you.

Response from Dr. Sullivan

No need to worry;JLS.

pregnant women

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint